Sunday, September 03, 2006

Wood Engravings






Alright, I'm being really slow about getting my own scanned but I thought that I would post a couple from the masters. This first image is the work of Leonard Baskin, who died rather recently in 2000. He was a Jewish atheist; he didn't believe in G-d, but deeply loved and believed in his Yiddish heritage.






These next two are by Barry Moser and are from his Bible series. I believe that he is still living, and other work to his credit are illustrations for Alice in Wonderland and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.



I should also add that most wood engraving blocks are quite small. This is because the carving surface is actually the end grain of the wood that is piece together into blocks. So a block is usually only around 1 1/2"-2" wide by about 3" long. If the artist wants to make images that are larger then they have to lock several blocks together for their image, then carve the individual blocks, and then lock them back together for printing. Unfortunatley I am not sure what the sizes are for the images above.


No comments: