Friday, September 22, 2006

Richard


Well there is an older gentleman in the graduate printmaking studio class, who goes by the name of Richard. I'll admitt it at first I did not quite know what to make about Richard as he always seemed to be expounding to me about the merits of gloves, and to Hoffer about the hot plate (at which Hoffer would roll his eyes). Well upon the advice of the painting MFA's I sat down and engaged Richard in conversation, and all I have to say is wow. Richard is currently working as a curator at the Steamtown Museum, and is also pursuing his MA in spight of failing eyesight. As a younger man he had lived out west, and freely traversed the art circles out there. In fact he even spent a year working for Richard Royce out in Oregon. Royce was a master printmaker hailing from the Atelier 17 crowd, and had had the title personally bestowed on him by Hayter. Royce was in fact the printmaker that artists such as Judy Chicago, Rauschenberg, and Jim Dine called upon when they needed such services. It was kind of hard to find, but this is one of Royce's prints. It is called Vortex (1980) it is a carborundum etching and measures 28" x 30"; the asking price for this piece is $4500.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean that older people might still have merit and perhaps even courage in the face of becoming blue hairs?? This man has seen and done a great deal in one life time. WOW!!! IS RIGHT. Take a bow, Richard for a life well spent. Thank you Viper for recognizing a unique soul.

Sarah the Viper Piper said...

I wasn't questioning merit before, I was questioning them demanding to see my room and having complete strangers invading my privacy.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the privacy issues - that part of your frustration I can understand. I have no problem with that. I had wondered why it was so important to visit a dorm room. Having gone to college myself, a very long time ago, - the last place ...No! a dorm room or hall would not be on the list of nostalgia and reminiscing of old times for me. The issue with the booze, while I don't think it was right that the university did the double standard thing. If it is a dry campus, it should be a dry campus for everyone. No elitist treatment for anyone. Whether they are guests, faculty,administration or 21 (or older) students. I happened to be there as a visiting alumni and I never indulged in the booze. I did enjoy the company of old college friends.What scares me is to think this current batch of college students may have a dependency problem brewing some day. If booze is so important to college or just life in general, that is a problem. This is sad.

Anonymous said...

your over-reacting anonymous. you need to set up your own blog if you want to write books.

Sarah the Viper Piper said...

the reaction was not out of a need for alcohol, it was just to give vent to what I saw as a double standard, and also to express frustration about the stupid policy of not being able to return to campus. Lets face it these young people staying in the dorms are going to go out and try things regardless. Isn't it better for them to have a safe place to come back to rather than just be out wandering around Scranton in an altered and vulnerable state.

Sarah the Viper Piper said...

Also in regards to the dependency thing, I am assuming that as Marywood alumni you will be familiar with what the workload is like really at any campus especially at the graduate level. I hardly see the harm or dependency in getting together with compatriots and friends to unwind and just have a few every now and then. The people who left those comments do not have dependency problems; they are all very hard working individuals who do great work, and understand this need to unwind. Tell me annonymous when you are with your friends after a long hard week, do you have a couple with them? and if so does that mean that you have a dependency problem?

Anonymous said...

Why don't you marry him? Oh and he works at the Anthracite Heritage Museum.

Anonymous said...

Richard is so a catch . You so lame you wont put out