Thursday, October 26, 2017

Rob Hay and Lessons in Being Prepared

I probably maybe should have done this a long time ago, but I went to school for a bit with Rob.  Hopefully he won't mind me talking about him.  I don't agree with him on politics, but I would rate him as one of the smartest men I have met in my life.  He was in the graduate painting program at Marywood while I was in the printmaking.  He was one of the older ones there, but it also gave him more insight than some of us.  He went through various phases in his life.  I knew him as a staid bankerish looking guy, but I guess he went through a spiked dog collar phase.  Anyways his first try at a MFA program he said he really didn't care about anything.  He knew they were coming to fail him for his candidacy review, so he waited until they were there and about to open their mouths to critique him to tell them "I dropped out this morning, get the fuck out."  He then went on to get a MA.  He obtained his MFA from Marywood. 


Anyways Rob was also a boy scout, and he took the lesson of being prepared to heart.  Just as we were about to finish up and graduate Rob was informed that the school had lost his transcripts, and he had to get them official sealed transcripts within a very limited amount of time.  Otherwise he would have to stay another semester.  Amazingly he had sealed official transcripts in the glove compartment of his truck, which was a very good thing as I don't know if he had had to request transcripts from his old schools if they would have gotten there in time.  A little lesson in being prepared.


This is a link to examples of his work.


https://www.artsy.net/artist/rob-hay

No comments: