Friday, December 22, 2017

Chuck Close Allegations

I read an article last night about two women coming forward to accuse Chuck Close of sexual harassment.  He did not touch them, he commented to the one that her "pussy looked delicious."  Most male artists are not that bad.  I can think of one guy I went to school with venting that his non art friends thought he drew with a hard on in that class.  I have also done a little nude modeling.  For two main reasons.  One, I wanted to see what it was like on their end.  I was still holding out hope then to be an art professor, and I thought it would be good to have some clue on that.  The second reason being did I really want to come to the end of my life and not be able to say that I had.  None of my experiences were as bad as what the women described with Chuck Close.  The one though said she was operating on the assumption he was just going to do his typical face portrait thing of her.  Never assume, always ask to see their work and what exactly they want you to model for.  Yes, I did decline on a couple modeling gigs because I didn't like the answers. Not condoning what Chuck Close said, but a woman has to look out for herself.  In my mind that is part of the responsibility of a free adult woman.  The alternative in my mind is the old patronizing thing.  That women can't look after themselves and need men to protect them from these situations.  It is also perplexing to me why when she first got there and he started talking about a nude photo he had on his wall and how he fucked that model why she didn't leave then.  Instead she went on to take off her clothes, and she only left after the pussy comment.  Part of what needs to happen with this Metoo thing is education for women on warning signs, when to leave, when to punch, when to call the cops.  This movement will be for naught if these things don't happen.  Finger pointing is not enough.

No comments: