Sunday, February 11, 2018

Frozen River Film Festival

I tried out the being a artist vendor at the Frozen River Film Festival at Winona State.  We were in the lobby of Science building, which had some beautiful design work.  They had us circled around this many pointed star bench dias thing with a star map on it.  On the floor around that was a circle with symbols in it.  I think they were replacing the zodiac signs with symbols representing the different branches of science.  There was what looked like a chemical equation and a plant close to me.  It was kind of hard to see the full thing though due to tables and chairs.                                                                               I went in with the attitude that if I made back the cost of being a vendor I would be happy.  Well I did that and made a profit.  I had drawings, prints, and knitting for sale.  The knitting was the big seller.  My two big buyers I think were a mother daughter duo.  The mother was recovering from cancer.  She bought a baby alpaca and merino wool hat from me.  It was made from the same yarn I used on the scarf I have bragged about here elsewhere.  Decadently soft.  Maybe I should have just given it to her, but they couldn't believe my prices were so low.  The daughter actually gave me an extra $20 because she said I wasn't charging enough.  I also got some compliments from people saying they liked the colors.  That one actually really meant something to me.  I gravitate to color a lot when I look at art, but I often feel like I fall short of where I would like to be on that as an artist.  Had a couple anti wool people.  Unfortunately the commercial clothing industry uses cheap nasty wool, but wool can actually be very soft (merino wool in particular).  She never even bothered to stop and touch and see.  She said on her second pass that she was not allergic she just didn't like it.

No comments: