Saturday, February 17, 2018

Mental Illness & Guns

I have talked a little before about having schizophrenia.  I guess I just wanted to comment that this atmosphere of blaming mass shootings on mental illness really sucks, and really is such a cop out.  The only thing that it does is create stigma against people, and believe me I have received very little help.  I have paid off my medical debt and much of my student loans by picking up in the hospital.  One time I agreed to pick up as an early morning float, and ended up getting placed in Peds.  This is not an area I know that well, and I tend to struggle with figuring out what I am supposed to do (it is also very different from every other part of the hospital).  Anyways at somepoint I noticed two pediatricians looking at me with absolute panic on their faces.  Then a little latter one of them telling the resident doctors that it was probably alright as I did not have a gun.  Also had a nurse call me a bitch that day, no clue what that was about.  So fucking offensive, probably when I was at my worst point with my mental illness I was working a lot in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit (where the babies are))  I ended up in the ER and then in the psychward, but I did nothing to those babies, and again that was the time in my life I would rate as my worst.  Granted I did not like the area and had the psychiatrist tell my supervisor not to put me there, but that was due to the 4am start time for the area.  It had destroyed my ability to sleep, which was not helping with my mental health issues.  Again no shooting I got myself out of working the area.  Reason why that doctor is so offensive to me.  I mean did he do anything to help me, no, all he did was ostracize me over my health condition.  Really I think that might count as a HIPPA violation.  I mentioned once to the psychiatrist, who got me started on the meds at work that if she asked around the other doctors would tell her that when I work nights in the clinic I talk to the voices.  She said they wouldn't because doctors are not supposed to gossip about that stuff, it is a violation.  That is also a load of bullshit.  One time I had a doctor throw me into a loop of questioning if the voices were real, and then in turn why Aam I taking meds with dangerous side effects for it.  All because he randomly came up to me and said something mildly related to what I had been talking about one night in the clinic.  As near as I could tell I was by myself, and that particular doctor does not work  in my area in the clinic that was why I was so confused.  But I think the answer is doctors gossip.

No comments: