Monday, February 27, 2017

Not Too Late for Black History Month

Because there is a popular misconception that 19th century art was the domain of dead white men.  I would like to introduce you to Robert Duncanson (1821-1872) of the Hudson River School.  Born in Seneca County, New York it was not until 1841 that he decided to be an artist.  Contrary to Constable's admonishment that "An artist who is self-taught is taught by a very ignorant person indeed." Duncanson taught himself how to paint by studying prints, and I think did better than Constable.  He went on to travel throughout Canada and Europe.  Years ago when I was in school, and this will date me, I worked in the art department sorting slides.  What tended to happen with this sort of job is that faculty would retire and would give their unlabeled slides to the university.  The art historian wouldn't feel like sorting through them, and push them off on to me.  This guy had me stumped.  At the time I thought they were by Thomas Cole; in my defense none of the art history books I had access to through the library mentioned Robert Duncanson.  Years latter when I was out of school I read an article in art journal at the public library that was about Duncanson, and there was the image that had stumped me.  
Image result for Robert Duncanson


Image result for Robert Duncanson



No comments: