Sunday, October 15, 2017

Tattoos

I've been thinking about this a bit lately.  At the opening for the Banned exhibit the thing that really struck me was that pretty much all of the attendees were older; I think maybe I saw one younger guy.  It bothered me at first, but I've thought on it some more.  I said in a previous post that I thought Contemporary art was more about experience than ownership.  I think tattoos are a perfect example of this.  I don't think that interest in art has really faded, more that it has shifted.  I looked a bit online for articles about tattooing and art.  Most were a debate about is it an art, or looking at the cultural history.  I guess I am more interested in the commercial aspect of all this.  What I mean is that a lot of the time people buy art not only for the enjoyment of it, but also as an investment.  A guy I went to grad school with said he had had people who had purchased work from him get in his face.  They wanted to know what he was up to, and why he was not exhibiting.  His work was more of an investment to them.  I have had this a little bit too.  The thing that is of interest to me about tattoos is that people pay to have them done, but there is no potential for reselling them.  They are from an investment point of view valueless.  So maybe tattoo culture is a little bit purer art appreciation.

No comments: