Sunday, April 30, 2017

MSDS

It is funny how one thought leads to another.  This is probably my job rubbing off on me, but I have to know how to access the MSDS for the cleaning chemicals we use.  MSDS stands for material safety data sheet.  They tell you possible health concerns about the chemical, and what protective precautions should be taken.

Well I was thinking about how I have never come across MSDS for artist supplies.  I guess in my mind suppliers should have them listed and available for print out on their web sites.  I was looking around in Health Hazards for Artists and it said while manufacturers are required to have a MSDS they are not required to give them to people buying their products.  I am hoping this has changed; my edition of Health Hazards is from 1985.  Perusing Dick Blick's catalog I did see an attempt at a warning system.  I guess I am confused though as to how flake white in one brand of paint has a warning mark, but not in a different brand.  I guess my primary concern is for the person looking to pick up a hobby and assumes it is safe to use without any safety precautions.  I have also heard of art majors eating art supplies before.

No comments: