Saturday, October 01, 2016

Chuck Close

I was originally just going to write about Jackson Pollock today, but then I started thinking more generally about artists with disabilities and I thought about Chuck Close.  Chuck Close is best known for his photorealistic paintings.  I don't think that most people know though that he actually has prosopagnosia, or in other words he is face blind.  Meaning that he cannot recognize people by their facial features.  I heard an interview with him awhile back on WPR, where he said the prosopagnosia was why he took on portraits.  From what I understand that is also why he has to use his system of gridding that he uses to break the photos down into more manageable parts.  I didn't know that Chuck Close suffered from this condition before that interview, and it makes his paintings way more remarkable.

No comments: