Sunday, December 03, 2006

Words of Wisdom

I have just come back from a little party at one of the painting professors houses, where I heard profound words of wisdom. John and the Happy Box (he's a pupeteer) was the profound ritualistic guru type, who told us that love was the key to all, and then went on to question the situation with the 9/11 tragedy and our own national reaction. He said that instead of approaching them and saying "Why did you do this?" we came with a we're going to hate you forever and an "eye for an eye" mentality. Then the painting professor followed with a comment to the effect that the most important and defining moments in our lives are the moments when we let each other down. I will leave it up to you to decide, but personally John's message was the one that spoke to me. As an archaeologist, there is a reason for everything and a reaction to every action. If we are to better understand ourselves we must understand how people react to our actions and vice versa. Yes some of the most important moments are when others let us down, but inparticularly the telling moment is in how we react to them.

3 comments:

phantompanther said...

I found the nanner guy randomly on the internet-- I was searching for banana pics and homosexual overtones- and he's what I got!! Good post by the way-

S said...

The protesters in Tiennenamen..? Square (beijing)
Threatened violence against the peoples republic of china.
Thier forced was responded to by equal and greater force.
Who knows what may have happened if they had would have used a logical thought process.
Of course....look what happened to MLK jr.
Passive to the end.
The world can be a downer.
Maybe it just depends on if you are the kind of person who gets let down or the kind of person who lets others down.
Maybe I shouldnt type when I have been drinking.
Or maybe I should......?

Unknown said...

I agree totally. I think about the reactivity of people all the time too.

Our capacity (as people) to love is infinite, contagious, and collective. Those who posses love need to keep it alive through one-another.