Sunday, March 25, 2018

Unsung Heroes

One thing that drives me nuts is that if you are in scrubs people always assume you are a doctor or a nurse.  I think TV and movies are to blame.  There are a whole scope of people who work at hospitals, who are not doctors or nurses.  People who work really hard too.  I know my department has continually been short staffed in the close to nine years I have worked here.  Although other departments are too.  Cleaning staff were at least shown on Scrubs, I don't recall seeing anyone from laundry on it though.  I know one of our night laundry guys has told me has had a work week that lasted for four months.  That blows me out of the water, my longest work week is a measly 26 days, which I hope to never ever repeat.  I actually wonder how well the doctors know the support staff roles.  I ran into one resident doctor who did not seem to know that CS techs pick up the stuff they use for procedures, they clean that stuff.  They also are the ones who fill their orders and drop off for that stuff.  I also kind of wonder how many doctors have been back to, or even know where their suture kits for surgery are put together.  I guess that is one of the main things I enjoy about my job, as cleaning staff I get to go pretty much everywhere.  Although amazingly after almost nine years I have not been everywhere.  The doctors have the upperhand on the ICE House.  Hopefully this isn't too tedious, but places I have worked at the hospital compound.  The Loft apartment, where cisiting CEOs stay, and would not be surprised if Newt Gingrich stayed there when he visited.  Easily the swankest accomodations, also the only spot my department is responsible for washing and ironing the bedding.  The old resident doctor housing (they have built new housing). Laundry building.  Medlink hanger.  Logistics building, the woman who showed me this part said that was where the kindest most supportive people were, not so much in the hospital.  Power plant.  Inpatient Psychiatric ward old and new, the old now seems to be command center for construction facility service guys.  Surgical Digestive.  Medical Oncology.  Neonatal ICU.  Pediatric ICU.  Pediatrics.  Postpartum.  I used to know the birthing suites and cover the Labor &Delivery ORs, not comfortable there anymore.  Short Stay.  Neuroscience.  Orthopaedics.  Lab where they process stuff.  Critical Care.  Rehab.  The old Renal dialysis.  I also used to work the old Cath Lab, moved.  Cardio-pulmonary.  IT tech guy area.  Used to know Emergency Services.  On the clinic side- Dental, Oral surgery area, where they make the teeth is kind of neat.  I have cleaned doctor offices in Urology.  Cardiology.  North Obstetrics Gynecology.  East Obstetrics Gynecology.  Pacemaker area.  Resident doctor lounge.  Medical Foundation.  Physician Support and Recruitment.  Podiatry (part of current area). Radiology (part of current regular area).  Orthopaedics.  Physical Therapy.  Orthotics, the workshop where they make the braces is neat.  Occupational therapy.  Old area on 2 mainly offices and breakrooms.  Courier room (part of current area). Flower Delivery (part of current area).  Collection Lab (part of my regular area).  PreAdmidssions.  Finance.  Endocrinology.  Project Search.  IS Clinical Engineering, where they fix IV pumps.  Medical Media.  Patient Liason Services.  My Departments Area.  Pulmonary.  Pediatric Specialty.  Founders building- Sleep Lab.  Pediatrics.  Family Medecine.  I've bopped around throughout the East Building cleaning offices and what not, but do not know it well.  The old Morgue.  Full Fledged Doctor Lounge.  Medical Library.  CS breakroom area.  The old Hospital Pharmacy (security is there now), was shocked to learn leeches are still in use.  The old Interventional Radiology, moved.  I think I got everything.  So to snotty Critical Care HUC this is what I am expected.  I don't have your luxury of only needing to know one area.

No comments: